Saturday, September 13, 2014

RUNNING SCARED



"Yo Bosom Buddy Beatty, check out that dude across the hall" commands my freshman roommate at the University of Louisville. 

"Yee f---in goints!" I exclaim in my native pigeon Sicilian from growing up in Bound Brook, New Jersey. "That's who will be chasing me?"






__________




I was a walk-on about to try out for flanker on Coach Vince Gibson's football team. My 4.4 forty yard dash speed coupled with football grit as a high-school halfback put me in the running for a roster spot. 

That dude was Otis Wilson, a redshirt Syracuse transfer who would become an All-American linebacker, not to mention an All-Pro member of the 1985 Super Bowl champion Chicago Bears. As a 6'2" 220 pound freshman, Otis could already bench press 350, squat 500, and run just a 10th of a second slower than me. 



___________



"That's a real pissa" laughs my roommate from Oyster Bay, Long Island.

"When does Fall baseball start?" I ask but had already decided to try to steal bases instead of catch passes.

No comments:

Post a Comment